Sunday 16 May 2010

Roads and routes

I based my route on Brian Smailes' book 'Lands End to John O'Groats – The Official Cyclist's Challenge Guide', which in turn is based on the most direct and bicycle-friendly roads to take.

I adapted Brian’s route so I could visit a family member in Wiveliscombe (Devon) and my home in Bristol.

Several people offered me advise about the roads I chose – saying that the A30 in Cornwall (day 1), the A49 to Shrewsbury (day 3) and the A9 to Inverness (day 7 and 8) were busy and dangerous.

The A30 (a dual carriageway) was busy and dangerous, and I revised my route the day beforehand. The A49 (single carriageway) seemed fine and I’m glad I chose this route. The A9 was horrible once I left the Cairngorms. I felt particularly vulnerable on the route through Inverness. I wouldn’t recommend riding on the road here. There was a cycle path alongside the road but it stopped frequently at road junctions and the condition of the path wasn’t as good as the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment