Sunday 16 May 2010

Health and fitness

I trained for four months for this ride, also training for a half marathon run at the same time.

I rode 350 miles a month in January and February and ran 65 miles. In March and April I stepped my cycling training up and rode 650 miles a month, focussing on hill training and riding big miles on consecutive days.

As a rule of thumb, you should be able to ride two-thirds of your daily distance for three days in a row before the trip.

Planning to ride 100 miles a day on the trip, I wanted to ride 70 miles on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the two weeks before I left.

Due to mechanical problems and social plans I didn’t quite manage that. In the two weeks beforehand I rode 30 miles after work on the Friday, 100 on Saturday and 50 miles on the Sunday. Still 180 miles but not quite so intensively.

If you’re planning 900 miles in 9 days you should be able to do this without excessive discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment