Sunday 31 January 2010

Exhaustion stops play

This week didn't exactly go to plan. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were a write off. I was exhausted every day. I found getting up a real struggle and in the evenings I couldn't manage much more than cycling home from work and flaking out on the sofa.

Was it last week catching up with me, was I coming down with a bug or was I just being a bit of a wimp? All three I think. Eitherway I couldn't face exercise. On Thursday and Friday I had evening engagements so I pretty much had five exercise free days.

Still, I think I made up for it on Saturday. I cycled over the Severn Bridge to meet my Dad in Caldicott before we cycled back to Newport for coffee and cake in Tesco then I headed back to Bristol on my own. On the whole it was a lovely, mostly flat 71 mile ride - and my longest of the year so far. Unfortunately my speedometer died with a few miles to go so I'm not sure how long it took. I'm guessing around 4 hours. The ride with Dad was at a fairly slow pace.

The profile around the Newport flats is, well, dead flat so it's a pleasure to ride. Lovely quiet lanes and barely a car in site. Saturday was a really bright sunny day too - although it was F-F-F-freezing! Note to self #1: three layers isn't enough in 3 degrees temperature!

My legs are dead today (Sunday) so no running until next week. Note to self #2: Must remember to stretch after long rides!

My bike was beginning to make a few unusual noises at the end of the ride so I think it's time to take it in for a strip-down service - yet more money to spend on bikes.

Plans for the ride haven't really progressed any further. I think I'm settled on my charity (Cancer Research) and my route. I'm investigating GPS and PDA units to save on map reading and I'm steadily keeping bike shops and online retailers in business by buying creams, tools and so on.


No comments:

Post a Comment