Saturday 23 January 2010

Candle burnt at both ends


A friend of mine has all but given up drinking in preparation for the Paris Marathon. I'm begining to think it's a good idea.


I went out on Friday and had too many drinks. Not an excessive amount but probably enough to classify me as a 'binge drinker', and definitely enough to dampen my enthusiasm for Saturday's cycling.


Beers and a late night, on top of a week of exercise and long hours in work left me feeling mentally exhausted on Saturday morning.


I only had myself to blame and I would have felt even more rotten if a hangover got in the way of a bike ride. So I fueled up with cereal, porrige and coffee and dragged my sleepy head out into the dank January air. Ten miles in and I began to feel a bit more like myself. I rode to Clevedon, back to Portishead, through Avonmouth to the old Severn Bridge, before stopping for some pics and making a slow ride back to Bristol. 48 miles today and another tick on the training calender - although it's a rather shaky-handed tick.


Elsewhere this week: I've been upgrading the second-hand Bob Jackson road bike I bought last weekend. A new stem and new pedals make it easier to ride and it's almost a perfect commuting bike. Do I singlespeed it? I haven't decided yet.
It's been a busy week of running and riding in the gym. Next week: must get more sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment