Sunday 14 February 2010

A good week

First of all, two things I forgot to mention in last week's post.

I decided to do the ride for Cancer Research, specifically to pay for nursing care for people receiving treatment. I know two people who've died from cancer, two who've recovered and one who currently has cancer. It would be great if you could donate. My charity page is available at: http://myprojects.cancerresearchuk.org/group-giving/ben-hillsdon-rides-lejog-to-fight-cancer

I've been thinking about how to navigate the route. My Dad suggested getting a GPS unit. At first I wasn't keen but the thought of taking a wrong turn or stopping every five miles to check a map doesn't sound great. And trying to navigate whilst being tired after 90+ miles of riding could be tricky. So I took a look at some units. The Garmen 705 costs about 300 notes, which I can't really justify. I have found a company that rents them, but only for a minimum of three months, and at a cost of £75. The website is here: http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/garmin-705-edge-hr-rental-494-p.asp

In terms of this week things have gone well. Training has been good, despite having a bit of a cold, and I've bought some useful things. Vitamin C and echinacea tablets have helped limit my cold to just a snotty nose and slight cough.

During the week I went on two runs and have ridden twice on the static bike in the gym. This weekend we drove out to Frome and I cycled back from there. I'm not sure exactly which way I went but I passed through Melksham, Corsham, Box, Bath and back into Bristol along the cycle paths. I didn't map the route before hand, I just followed road signs for towns that I wanted to pass through. The ride was 49 miles and it would have been longer had I not wanted to get back for the Six Nations Wales - Scotland match. I felt good when I got home too, strong enough to do another 30 or so miles at least.

I thought the picture was fairly fitting for a weekend of Six Nations rugby.



Yesterday I rode with time trial bars for the first time, which I bought from Dave Hinde Cycles this week (a £40 bargain!). They seemed to add about two miles an hour to my speed, which surprised me - I didn't think they'd make that much of a difference.

I started the ride feeling pretty hungry, which I must avoid in future. I just felt a bit slow and sluggish. After 20 miles I stopped at a petrol station for a Mars Bar and an excellent bag of penny sweets, which I demolished pretty rapidly. It was a BP petrol station somewhere near Melksham - note to self, stop there in future!

The other thing I bought was a free box of Zipvit powders and vitamins (I had to pay for postage). It seems like really good value, although I'm yet to try any of them. http://www.zipvit.com/cgi-bin/vitcart1.pl?success&cart=cart9763c02¤cy=&F46=1

Anyway, time to go I think. I need to go for a long run before it gets dark...

No comments:

Post a Comment